Chicken Breasts in Mushroom Sauce
From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- Ready In:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 whole breasts, split)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup fine whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons diced green onions
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon whole thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- Flatten chicken breasts.
- Dip in milk, then in bread crumbs, coating well.
- Roll up and arrange, seam down, in non-stick sprayed baking pan.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, simmer the mushrooms and onions in wine and lemon juice.
- Add thyme and marjoram.
- Uncover chicken and spoon mushroom mixture over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender and brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Fabulous! We really adored this chicken tonight. I guess I changed the cooking technique slightly -- I pan fried the chicken breasts in olive oil after coating them in the breadcrumbs to get them nicely browned. Removed them to the baking dish and sauteed the mushrooms, green onions and spices, and deglazed the pan with the white wine and lemon juice. Spooned the mushroom mixture over the chicken breasts and baked it all, as directed, for about 35 minutes. The chicken was flavored to perfection (without salt, mind you!) and the texture was excellent, with the succulent mushrooms to accompany. Wow! Did we love this!! Serving this savory chicken dish with a brown-sugar-and-butter-crusted sweet potato casserole made for one heck of a great dinner. This chicken recipe is one for the ages. Five stars all the way! (P.S. I didn't need an entire cup of breadcrumbs; also, I dipped the chicken breasts in buttermilk instead of evaporated skim milk.)Reply
see 2 more