Chicken and Shrimp Pho
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
DH makes this recipe (sans the shrimp as he's not a fan of seafood) quite regularly. I add shrimp for myself when he's not around ;). Love our Pho.
- Ready In:
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4 ounces fresh ginger, 4 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons nam pla (fish sauce)
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 large boneless chicken breast, trimmed
- 8 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 12 baby carrots, sliced in thirds
- 8 ounces cellophane noodles or 8 ounces bean thread noodles, pre cut
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- lime wedge
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves
- Bring large pot of water to boil, then remove from heat.
- Add noodles to the pot; let stand until tender, about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- Combine chicken broth, onion slices, fish sauce, sliced baby carrots and chicken in a soup pot; bring to a simmer.
- In a cheesecloth or tea infuser, add the whole cloves, sliced ginger, garlic, star anise and place in the soup pot with the chicken.
- Simmer the chicken, vegetables and spice mixture for about 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken and cool it until you can cut into cubes; place back into the simmering soup pot.
- Remove the cheesecloth or tea infuser, discard ingredients inside.
- Add bean sprouts and shrimp and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into the large serving bowl with the noodles.
- Add the green onions, cilantro and mint leaves to the serving bowl.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION