Chicken and Pearl Barley Soup
This one's a real winter-warmer and the grains give slow-release energy. The wonder of this soup is the fact that half of it is blended, so it's a lot creamer than most barley soups.
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken
- 1 ounce pearl barley, cooked to packet instructions
- 1 1⁄2 pints chicken broth
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Heat the oil and saute the leeks, carrot, garlic and celery until starting to soften.
- Dice up the chicken and add to the vegetables, fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked barley and broth and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour half the soup into a food processor and blend until smooth, then return to the pot and add the chopped parsley.
- Season to taste and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION