Chicken and Gouda Macaroni Bake
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or 1 small shell macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 -4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded (or cut in small pieces)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 teaspoon butter, melted
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water as package directs. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, in a saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter; add flour. Cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended and bubbly. Gradually stir in chicken broth and cream. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add pepper, to taste, along with parsley, if using. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the chicken and vegetables; cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Combine the sauce with cooked and drained macaroni; pour into a 2-quart casserole. Toss bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!