Chicken and Fluffy Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 6 lbs roasting chickens, cut up
- 4 - 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 stalks celery, cut up
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large pot.
- Simmer covered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Skim off fat.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot chicken and boiling stock.
- Cover tightly and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, Do Not Lift Cover.
- Simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until dumplings are dry and fluffy.
- Arrange dumplings and chicken on a platter.
- Strain broth.
- Combine flour and water, blend till smooth.
- Bring 4 cups reserved broth to boiling, add flour mixture.
- Bring to boil and cook till thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken and dumplings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!