Chicken and Crab Gumbo Low Fat
A healthy and delicious stew which stretches 1/4 pound of chicken and 1/4 pound of crabmeat a long way. Add more hot sauce if you like heat, and add a cup of sliced okra if you like it. Adapted from Bonnie Stern.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with the juice)
- 1⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 1⁄4 lb crabmeat (I just use one can)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Heat oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Whisk together the flour and cayenned, then whisk into oil. Reduce heat to medium/low and continue whisking for a few minutes until the roux turns a golden colour.
- Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Cook 5 - 10 minutes until vegetables are wilted.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, rice, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add corn and crabmeat and simmer 5 minutes. Add green onions and summer 2 minutes longer.
- Adjust salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Note: You may add 1 cup sliced okra when you add the chicken.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 4 more