Chicken and Cabbage Casserole
This is a good combination of ingredients and flavors with a good result. Hope you enjoy it.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (I use McCormick with garlic)
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks (or use 4 drumsticks and 4 thighs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix flour and seasoned salt in a zip lock plastic bag.
- Add chicken drumsticks, two at a time into the bag. Lock and shake bag to coat chicken well.
- Add coated chicken to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally until browned.
- Place chicken in a medium baking dish prepared with oil spray and heat oven to 350ºF.
- Add chopped onion, green bell pepper and carrot to skillet. Cook until cripsy tender for about 5 minutes.
- Mix ketchup with undrained tomatoes, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage with vegetables and tomato sauce and mix well. Spoon over chicken.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake until chicken is cooked through for about 45 minutes and the cabbage is tender but not overcooked.
- Remove foil; sprinkle mozzarella over chicken. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 more minutes.
- NOTE: I made this recipe again, adding 4 tablespoons of chopped green peppers and carrots (instead of 2 tablespoons). Reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon and Mozzarella cheese to 1/2 cup. Thanks to the reviewers for their good suggestions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more