Chicago Style Ribs
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
2 racks of ribs
- 2 full baby back rib racks
Spice rub (reserve 2 tbsp of this rub for the barbecue sauce)
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
Hickory wood chips
- 1 cup hickory chips, soaking in water for 15 min
No cook barbecue sauce
- reserved 2 tbsp dry rub seasonings
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Trim the membrane off the backside two sets of the ribs. Use a paring knife to start to grab the membrane, and a paper towel to pull the membrane.
- Flavor the meat with spice rub.(remember to reserve 2 tbsp of the rub for your sauce).Make sure that the meat is patted dry with paper towel to ensure that the spice is distributed evenly and no clumps are formed.
- Remove the water from the wood chips and place the chips in an aluminum pie tin. Turn the grill on and place the pie tin on the primary part of the grill on high temperature Place another tin of water on the right side of the grill. set the water side on medium heat. Put the cooking grill over the chips and water. Close the lid and let the grill get hot approx 15 minute.
- After 15 minute and you see that the chips are smoking, turn the medium flame off and the high flame to medium. Your meat gets placed over the water side (not over the wood chips).Close the lid of the grill.
- Let the ribs stay on the grill for about an 45min. then flip them and let them cook for another 45 minute Then remove the ribs from the grill.
- Bring the ribs inside your kitchen. We are going to finish these in a 250 degree oven.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and pour some water to cover the bottom of the pan. Place the ribs on the rack. Seal the baking sheet tightly with aluminum foil.This will trap the ribs in steam.
- Place the ribs in the oven. Bake them for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove the ribs carefully from the oven.Let them rest for ten minutes after removing the aluminum foil. While the meat is resting you can prepare the sauce.
Barbecue sauce preparation:
- In a bowl combine the spice rub, ketchup, molasses, cider vinegar, water, liquid smoke and stir well.
- Spread approx a cup of sauce over the meat and serve!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!