Chewy or Crunchy Flapjacks
A simple to make oaty cake that is sweet, moist & chewy; or caramel flavoured, hard & crunchy. :-)
- Ready In:
- 9 tablespoons porridge oats (chopped rolled oats)
- 9 tablespoons rolled oats (or you can use all porridge oats)
- 10 tablespoons margarine
- 5 tablespoons golden syrup
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Put the margarine, sugar & golden syrup in saucepan (or microwaveable bowl if using a microwave oven) and heat until it is all liquid.
- Meanwhile line the a square shallow baking tin with greaseproof paper. (about 8-inch tin).
- Mix all the oats into the liquid.
- Put the mixture into the baking tin & press flat.
- Bake at 175 deg C (Gas Mark 4 or about 350 F) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Warning: the timing is tolerant but accuracy in temperature is critical.
- Slice into 8 fingers before it sets but leave in place in tin.
- Leave to cool and set.
- Crunchy Flapjack:.
- The recipe is identical to chewy version but cook at 15 deg (one Gas Mark) hotter.
- Fruit Flapjack:.
- The recipe is identical to above but mix in some raisins and/or sultanas before baking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
O.K i will be honest with this recipe! Well first of all these came out too buttery and oily and lots of butter was left on the serving plate, also there was so much sugar and i had to limit the golden syrup to 4 table-spoons as this is way too sweet also they were stuck to the baking dish and i had a struggle lifting them out the baking dish! And one more thing i had to heat them up again due to the fact that they had become hard. But overall i like them as they were chewy and moist but I would recommend limiting the quantity of butter and sugar also to lift them out straight away from the oven- this tends for them not to stick!Reply
These have been on my list of things to try for a long time now. I made them yesterday. They were really yummy. Although I don't know what the difference is with the oats, but don't use the jumbo oats, use the smaller ones as it makes a much better texture. Thanks for posting. Miss Pixie x x x :)Reply
see 1 more