Cherry Tea Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 27mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (reserve 1/4 cup of this for flouring the cherries)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweet cherries in juice, drained
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift the 2 cups flour (set aside reserved 1/4 cup for cherries), baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a bowl.
- In a second bowl, toss the cherries with the reserved 1/4 cup flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy; add the sugar and honey gradually, beating the mixture until it is very light.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- With mixer at lowest speed, add the flour mixture.
- Fold the floured cherries into the batter.
- Turn the batter into a buttered and floured loaf pan, approximately 9 x 5 x 3 inches.
- Bake the bread in the center of the oven for 1 hour.
- Cool the loaf for 15 minutes in the pan; unmold the bread on a rack to cool completely.
- Wrap the cherry bread loaf in plastic wrap and keep for a day before serving for best flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This bread is delicious! An elegant alternative to the ubiquitous banana bread. Although it was moist, I might try adding a tablespoon or two of the residual cherry juice the next time. This baked up nice in my convection oven; I did start watching it closely after the first half hour based on the first reviewer's comments; it did not require a full hour to bake. Thanks, Mom2Rose! Made for Aussie Swap #17 - belated! :)
Mom2Rose (Sarah) - as always, I have been priviledged to sit at your dinner table and sample most of the dishes you have posted on Zaar or be the lucky recipient of one of your dishes!! This Tea Bread is one of them - I appreciate you making this for me to test out a couple weeks ago!! This recipe did not disappoint! I have since made 3 loaves for myself and my extended family and we were all pleased at how it turned out!! This will be added to my Christmas baking gift list!