Cheesy Zucchini Boats
You can prepare and stuff the zucchini a day before. Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
- Ready In:
- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out the zucchini flesh, leaving a 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick shell.
- Wrap the zucchini flesh in a paper towel and squeeze out any excess liquid; discard the liquid and set aside the flesh.
- Place the zucchini shells cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 T olive oil over high heat.
- Add the zucchini flesh and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the remaining 1 T oil and the bread crumbs, and toast the bread crumbs for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the nuts and oregano, then combine with the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- Flip over the zucchini shells and line the bottoms with the mozzarella.
- Pack in the filling.
- Sprinkle with parmesan on top.
- Bake until the zucchini is tender when pierced with a fork, 20-25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation