Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes With Bacon and Green Onions
photo by Lavender Lynn
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 5 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (large cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (6 oz)
- Cook potato slices, covered, in boiling water to cover for 5 minutes; drain well.
- Place the potato slices in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the bacon and green onion; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add the minced garlic, bag leaf, salt, celery seed, black pepper, and cheddar cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the reserved potato slices.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made for the FYC Tag Game & served as a side to accompany ham & a mixed green salad. Potatoes are revered here in Iceland & considered a requirement of every meal. Icelanders are happy even if they are simply boiled, but I prefer more flavor w/o the need to add an excess of butter. These potatoes are indeed very flavorful. Green onions are not always readily available here & that was the case again, so I subbed chopped leek for them & otherwise made the recipe as written. Thx for sharing this recipe, breezer. We liked it a lot. :-)
Yum, I love scalloped potatoes and these are extra-special with the bacon and green onions!!! I did scale down but still had plenty for us to enjoy with a bit left over for my husband the next day! This was a treat we no longer enjoy often, so was extra-special, thank you breezermom! Made for I Recommend tag game
I scaled back for 3 serves but used 4 potatoes for 4 of us and we still had a small portion left over very rich and delicious, though I must add I did nto use thje celery seeds due to dietry strictions, though I found it needed more than 15 minutes for it to brown and after 15 minutes moves it to the fan forced oven for 10 minutess to give it it browness, thank you breezermom made for 123 Hits tag game.
see 3 more reviews