Cheesy Potatoes With Onions
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs russet potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced, about 6 medium)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced process American cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups warm full-fat milk
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the sliced potatoes in boiling water for about 5 minutes; drain.
- Layer one-third of the partially-cooked potatoes in bottom of the baking dish, then one-third of onion slices, then one-third of the cheese slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then repeat layers two more times.
- Sprinkle top with the shredded cheddar.
- For the sauce; in a medium heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add in flour and cayenne then stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in milk; whisk or stir until bubbly and thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Pour the sauce over the cheese and potato mixture.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Kit - another major hit of a recipe! We loved the taste of the blended cheeses. I used just one vidalia onion since it was pretty large and it did the trick and also used yukon gold potatoes b/c that what was left in the pantry. Great side dish for a variety of meals - I know I'll be making this often. Made for 1.2.3 Hit Wonders Apr 08