Another OAMC recipe. My mom has made this for as long as I can remember and I've always loved it. Hope you do too!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb shredded hash brown
- 1 lb O'Brien potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup crushed corn flakes (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except butter and cornflakes.
- Place mixture in greased 9x13 pan.
- If using cornflakes, mix them with the butter and top the potatoes with the mixture.
- Bake and 350°F for 45 minutes.
- *OAMC*--- Freeze as is, then when you're ready to eat them, thaw the potatoes, then cook as directed. Simple as that!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My mom has always made this too. I think it's the only thing she made that I truely loved enough to want the recipe. As a vegetarian, I buy the Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Celery, so it's low(er) sodium and vegetarian. Mom always throws in an onion, but I add even more veggies to it to bump up the healthy factor. Fresh or frozen broccoli or bell peppers are awesome in this!
Many recipes of this type get their flavor kick from butter and sour cream. This one is leaner, using pimiento-flavored frozen potatoes to bump up the flavor, and thus should be better for you than most recipes that taste this good. Our family enjoyed these, and agreed that they are a different twist in a category with many alike. Made for Pick A Chef, Sept 2008.