Cheesy Potato & Ham Soup
A definate favorite of my family's. Freezes well. A very filling soup. I serve it with a nice fresh loaf of bread or some fresh rolls. Prep time is considerably less if you have & use a food processor to chop and grate veggies. Good leftover as well.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use whole)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 lb Velveeta cheese (I use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed ham (I use turkey ham, about 2 c.) (optional)
- In large, heavy saucepan, bring first 6 ingredients to a boil.
- Cook til veggies are tender.
- Mix milk& flour together and add to veggies.
- Cook, uncovered, until boiling, STIRRING nearly constantly.
- Add the cheese, salt, pepper& ham.
- Stir til cheese is melted.
- ***Iusually double this recipe***.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a great potato soup. I quadrupled the recipe for daycare and so I would have some leftover to freeze. Made with 1% milk and it was still creamy enough. I followed the recipe exactly, but I love that it is a basic recipe that you can embellish to your taste. I am sure that I will make this again and again, adding something different each time. Maybe bacon, or swiss or green onions...Reply
I loved this recipe!! It was very good...I would make sure that if you're going to make this recipe you realize the potatoes should be cut into pieces small enough to eat. I by mistake cut my potato pieces a little bit too big. Also instead of Velveeta I used 2 15 oz. cans of Ragu cheddar cheese flavor.Reply
Oh yum - this was great, even in August! I made the recipe exactly as posted except used a combo of American and mild cheddar cheese (don't usually have Velveeta on hand). Oh, and I doubled the recipe too, as stated in Step #7. Good thing, my neighbor has a back injury and she was thrilled to get a half a pot of this tasty soup! Thanks for posting, PHM - see ya in Margaritaville!Reply