Cheesy Potato Bell Pepper Chowder
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half, can use milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, heaping
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese, heaping
- salt, to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Briskly stir in the flour.
- Add the chicken broth and stir well.
- Stir in the potatoes, chives and pepper; bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. *Stir FREQUENTLY to prevent sticking on bottom.
- Add half and half and cheeses; stir constantly until cheese is melted.
- Add salt; if needed to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really enjoyed this soup! I used 8 cups broth, and about 2 cups of 2% milk to 1/2 C. flour because I wanted to stretch it into more soup. We also skipped the swiss and just did the 1 cup cheddar and it was plenty cheesy. Oh I also added celery and carrots to get some more veggies in the kids :o).
I made this for a potluck, and it was a huge hit. Great choice for these below zero days! I used orange and yellow peppers, and substituted 2% evaporated milk for the half-and-half, but omitted the swiss. I had to simmer 30 minutes insead of 20, but some of my potato pieces were a bit on the large size. The leftovers were divine as well.
Oh my, this was good! I only had orange pepper, so used that and added a stalk of celery. I used a cheddar/monterey jack blend and left out the swiss cheese(I didn't have any), but I bet it would be even better with it. I did add alot of Greek seasoning and my DH raved over it! Of course, I loved it too! Thank you and I'm looking forward to eating leftovers!