Cheesy Ham & Bacon Chowder
- Ready In:
- 8 slices bacon (or 1/2 pkg)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 2 -3 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- In a large soup kettle, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon, (reserving drippings) dice and set aside.
- Saute the onion and carrots in reserved bacon drippings until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and water.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted.
- Stir in diced bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Had this while camping this weekend - GREAT stuff!!! Have this a few times since and it always turns out very good. I have even left out the bacon/ham for a veggie teenager and still delish! This time I served it Italian Bread Bowls from allrecipes. DH & DS thought I bought them from a bakery. Some adjustments I've made: cut the amount of cheese by a cup and use a pre-shredded cheddar/jack blend, cut bacon amount in half, use O'Brian style frozen potatoes (cuts a ton of time). Super easy and super yummy!