Cheese-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
photo by Diana Yen
- Ready In:
2 cheese-stuffed sweet potatoes
- 2 small sweet potatoes (between 5 and 6 ounces each)
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons skim milk ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced
- paprika, to taste
- Scrub potatoes, prick lightly with a fork and microwave for six minutes, or until done. (Or, bake in oven at 400 degrees F for one hour or until done.) When cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a small mixing bowl. Set aside potato skins.
- Mash the cooked potatoes with the three cheeses and salt and pepper. Distribute the potato mixture evenly among the potato shells. Top each with the sliced green onion and sprinkle paprika on top.
- Return potatoes to the microwave (one minute on high) or oven (10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees F) or until hot. Wrap or store in a portable container to bring to work or the gym; microwave on high for 1 1/2 to two minutes on high before eating.
Wow, I have to echo *Parsley* and say that these have surprisingly big flavor! I doubled the recipe and made one batch w/ sweet potatoes and one with yukon gold (for my potato-bigotry practicing hubby). I tried both and this worked really well with both varieties. The white potato version brought out the sour cream-ish tang of the goat cheese, and the sweet potato version had just the right sweetness to meld all the cheeses beautifully. I was very tempted to throw in garlic powder or use herbed goat cheese, but in the end I'm glad I didn't. That will be a nice touch for when I make this again, but I'm glad I had the chance to appreciate the flavors as they are. Thanks for posting, ~Jen~!