Cheese Steak Sandwiches
My daughter's favorite meal and one we all look forward to. The meat can be fried up a head of time and refrigerated until needed. Then just assemble and broil as directed.
- Ready In:
- 8 -10 sandwich steaks, broken into 1 inch wide strips (I use Philly Gourmet)
- 4 steak rolls
- 4 -6 slices white American cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- bell pepper, fried and canned (optional)
- onion, fried (optional)
- Fry sandwich steaks in frying pan, stirring often.
- When no longer pink, move to a plate lined with several paper towels.
- Use more paper towels to press on them to help drain the excess grease.
- On a baking sheet, lay steak or hoagie buns open flat.
- Place sandwich steak strips on both halves.
- Top sandwich steak with white American cheese and then provolone cheese.
- Place under broiler about 5-6 minutes or until cheese has melted and it starting to brown.
- Top with peppers and/or onions, if desired, and mayonnaise.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This has become one of my DH favorite meals. This is very easy to put together and delicious. I alway fry my steak-ums and then put them on a hamburger roll. This is a very nice change and not that much harder. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. We will be making this often. Update: 11/14/07 I made these and added fried mushrooms to my sandwich, very good!
Sorry I did not rate this higher, but I just thought it needed something extra as far as dressing - it was a bit too plain and too dry. Let me explain, though, that I used ciabatta rolls, a meat substitute and a low-fat American cheese slice (with regular provolone). I don't think this affected the outcome because I've made these types of substitutes before for other recipes and have been quite pleased. So I think you should add some kind of seasoning (garlic, salt, pepper) and a bit of broth (with a dash of hot sauce) if you want to keep this low-fat, or another type of dressing if you're not worried about calories. I think this recipe needed just a little more to make it a 5-star. Thanks very much.
These are wonderful, easy, and super delicious! I fried red and green peppers, and onions. I also used american and provolone cheese which tasted really yummy! After we finished dinner my hubby asked me "When are we having these again?" I am glad I bought extra box of steaks. Thank you Marg for this KEEPER!