photo by Junebug
- Ready In:
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread, crusts removed,and cut into 1 inch cubes (1 pound)
- Melt cream cheese and cheddar cheese, and butter in the microwave or in top of a double boiler.
- Remove; fold in beaten egg whites.
- Dip the bread cubes in the mixture to coat.
- Place on baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill overnight (the coated bread cubes can also be frozen for later baking).
- Remove from the fridge, remove plastic wrap.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minute, or until brown.
- These puffs freeze well after baking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these as an appetizer on the breads and pickles table for Thanksgiving. The first time I misread the recipe and used a whole package of cream cheese, not 3 ounces (nearly a third of the packeges around here) stated. The second time I used the right measurements and added a little garlic paste. I used a loaf of "Texas Toast", crusts removed and slices quartered. They went over great! Everyone wanted to know how to make them. Next time, I'll add more garlic paste or some barbecue spices. Maybe some Red Devil.
When I first made this recipe, I wasn't too sure about the final result once I had dipped them and let them rest over night... I was wrong - these were delicious!!! Great finger food, the kids especially LOVED these - but the adults gobbled them up too! I had lots of requests for this recipe.... Another winner Kitten!
I made these to bring to my mom's house for Christmas Eve and they were AWESOME!!!! After tasting the "dipping mixture" I knew right them and there that I had better make another batch..(LOL). Talk about EZ, this takes the cake....(The only thing is that I could not find the time to go to the bakery to get unsliced bread, so the supermarket sells ready made dough to make your ouwn bread) Even having to do this I went ahead amd made the 2nd (Which I doubled) batch !!!!GREAT RECEPIE>>>>THANKS