Cheese-Filled Risotto Croquettes With Tomato Sauce
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 30mins
- 3 cups leftover cooked risotto rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 2 tablespoons oregano or 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 large egg yolk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese or 5 ounces Fontina cheese
- all-purpose flour (for dredging)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 large egg whisked with 2 tbsp cold milk or 1 large water
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- In a large bowl, combine the risotto with the Parmesan, cream, herbs, and egg yolk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the cheese into 16 cubes. Scoop up about 3 Tbsp of the risotto mixture and pack it around a cube of cheese to make a croquette, a ball the size of a Ping-Pong ball. Repeat to form 16 croquettes.
- Put the flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs in 3 separate bowls. Dredge the croquettes in the flour, dip in the egg wash, and roll in the bread crumbs. Chill thoroughly, 2-24 hours.
- Pour oil into a tall pot to a depth of 5 inches. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it registers 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Deep-fry the croquettes in batches, without crowding, until they are evenly browned, 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Serve on a pool of warmed tomato sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!