Cheese and Lentil Loaf
photo by derekn552
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5, 375 deg F (190 deg C).
- Pick over the lentils for any sticks and stones.
- Rinse thoroughly and cook in a tightly covered pan with the water for 10-15 minutes.
- Check after 10 minutes in case you need to add more water.
- The mixture should cook to a stiff puree.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the grated cheese, chopped onion, parsley, cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
- Season to taste.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg.
- Stir in the cream (to the egg).
- Pour this mixture over the lentils.
- Greas e 1 lb loaf tin with the teaspoon of butter and press in the mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is golden brown and the mixture feels firm to the touch.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had this recipe years ago, when my girls were young & I worked in the kitchen of a large children's nursery. All the children & staff & my family loved it. It's very substantial & tasty. We usually served it instead of meat (for a change) with vegetables & gravy. I'm so happy to have found it again! It will become a regular again & I'm sure my grandson will love it too.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Hertford in England with my husband, son and dog. I love cooking, and love reading recipie books planning meals for my friends. However, I spend so long reading the books, I tend to be put off trying the recipies myself. I find recipezaar a brilliant resource, and try a new recipie every weekend. My first being spinach and ricotta canelloni which is absolutely delicious.