Cheese and Leek Pie (Tyropitta)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Found in the vegetarian section of Greek Cooking cookbook. This pie, from the Sporades Islands, is different than most because it does not have a crust (most use phyllo).
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks (about 1 lb, chopped)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 11 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces gruyere (or Parmesan cheese, freshly grated)
- 3 -4 tablespoons dill, fresh chopped
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedge
- black olives and radish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onion in butter and oil until golden.
- Add leeks and cook over low heat for 10 - 12 minute until soft.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch round springform cake pan.
- Sift flour and soda into a bowl.
- Stir in eggs, then yogurt and feta cheese and finally the leek/onion mixture.
- Set aside 2 Tbs of the grated cheese and add the rest to the batter with the dill. Mix well and season.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and level the surface.
- Sprinkle the reserved grated cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let pie cool completely before removing from pan.
- Serve in wedges, drizzled with EVOO, garnished with lemon wedges, olives and radishes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION