Cheddar Shortbread Bites (Crackers)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup land-o-lakes butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 cups land-o-lakes sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 8-ounce package)
Optional Topping Ingredients
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine flour, butter, salt and red pepper in medium bowl; beat at medium speed until dough forms.
- Add cheese; mix until a ball forms.
- Shape dough into circle; wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. (It will be hard to roll at first, but will soften. Press together any cracks that form on edges of dough.).
- Cut dough with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutters or pizza cutter into desired shapes.
- Place onto ungreased baking sheets.
If toppings wanted:
- Beat one egg white and water together in small bowl. Brush cut-outs with egg wash; sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned around edges. Immediately loosen from pan; let cool on pan.
- Variations: Shortbread bites can be topped with variety of other ingredients such as chili powder, seasoned salt, fennel seed or herbs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty. I made this without the topping. I used less cheese (maybe 1 cup, but of a really old tasty cheddar), but they are a tiny bit greasy already and plenty cheesy, so I would probably not want to use any more. I think they would be nice with some herbs added. Will probably make again.<br/><br/>Second time making: the dough was way too dry so I added an egg and some milk. Slightly different result, but still tasty. Added some minced peppers and they had a nice bite.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Born in the former Yugoslavia (Ponosna Licanka). Lived in Europe, America and Canada. Now I'm back in the Motor City. Married my first (and only) love in 2001, after initially dating in 1989. We have three wonderful, gorgeous boys together. DH is a handsome smarty pants, working for one of the big 3. Currently I am a student in the local university's Nursing Program. DH accepted a job in Shanghai, so we'll be living there for 3 years, starting summer 2009. ***Update: graduated nursing school, moved to Shanghai August 2009 & since January 2010, we have been living in Beijing, China.