Cheddar Dill Gougères
photo by elisechristiane
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon dill, plus more for sprinkling
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Add the flour and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan, and dries out a bit. Roughly two minutes.
- Turn the dough out into a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each one. Add the cheddar cheese, dill and pepper.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag with a half inch tip (or a disposable bag with the tip cut off) and pipe tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets at least two inches apart.
- Sprinkle with cheese and additional dill. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.
- The gougères can be frozen or refrigerated. To reheat, cook in an 350 degree oven for at least five minutes, or until piping hot and crisped.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!