Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Bread
Soft pretzel bread in one big loaf! cheese, Italian seasoning topped with coarse salt. For the Italian seasoning I use recipe#63812
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups flour (4 to 4 1/2 cups enough to make a soft dough)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast (1 pkg)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a small skillet cook onion in butter til tender but not brown, 7 minutes. Cool.
- Mix together warm water yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, set aside to proof, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processer mix together flour, cooled onion, egg, cheese italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Add yeast and water mixture. Mix until forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, knead 6-8 minutes.
- Shape into ball place in lightly greased bowl turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch down Turn out onto lightly floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes. This step is important. It makes the rope easier to work with.
- Lightly grease Baking sheet. Roll dough into a 48 inch long rope.
- On the baking sheet form the rope into a large pretzel shape by crossing one end over the other to form a circle, overlapping about 12 inches from each end.
- Take one end in each hand and twist once at the point where the dough overlaps.
- Lift each end across to the edge of the circle opposite.
- Moisten the ends and tuck underneath. press to seal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes.
- Stir together egg white and 1 tbsp water, brush onto bread sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in 375 oven for 20 minutes, then loosely cover with foil and continue baking another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven cool on wire rack.
- I serve this bread with a packaged cheese sauce, for dipping or spreading.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was just ok for us but I gave it 4 stars because it was a bread recipe that I could actually make and it turn out right. I liked the texture of it and it rose up good and looked pretty but it was lacking a little in taste. I think next time I will add a little more salt in the bread and use sharp cheddar instead of regular cheese. We had some of it dipped in soup and will dip the rest in cheese sauce. The bread just really needs a little more flavor for us.Reply