photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a 4 quart dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add apple and onion. Cook 12 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently until soft but not brown. Add carrot and cook 5 minutes more.
- Increase heat to medium. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add 1/2 cup of the broth, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until incorporate. Add additional broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until all broth is incorporated. Add apple juice.
- Increase heat to high. Heat soup to boiling, stirring occasionally. stir well and add half-and-half, whipping cream and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Do not let boil or soup may curdle.
- Remove bay leaf. Add apple juice condentrate, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Gradually stir in cheese until completely melted and smooth, about 8 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!