Charlotte's Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
Cornbread (for two normal recipes)
- 4 cups cornbread mix (She uses White Lilly)
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (sweet onions like Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 celery heart, chopped
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons ground sage (or to taste, we like sage a lot)
- 1 cup turkey stock (she uses pan drippings)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or until moist)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (or more to your liking)
- salt and pepper
- Make two recipes of cornbread according to the mix directions (amounts listed are for 2 recipes).
- Crumble cornbread into the roasting pan used for a turkey with turkey crust left in the pan (or large, shallow casserole baking dish).
- Fry the onions and celery in 3/4 stick of butter until tender.
- Add to cornbread and mix well.
- Add sage, dripping, cream of chicken soup, evaportated milk, eggs and broth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings like salt and pepper and sage.
- Mix well and wet the surface using extra broth and the back of a spoon to smooth.
- Bake at 350 F until thick and browned on top. Dressing should be moist.
- Serve with giblet gravy.
Join The Conversation