Charlie Palmer's Macaroni and Cheese
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄4 cup minced celery
- 2 tablespoons instant flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half, heated
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated fontina
- 3⁄4 lb elbow macaroni, cooked and well drained
- 1 -2 drop hot sauce
- coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 2-quart casserole; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and celery and saute for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are very soft. Lower the heat and stir in the flour until well incorporated. Whisk in the hot half-and-half and then the wine. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes, or until the mixture has begun to thicken. Remove from the heat and beat in the cheeses, stirring until they have melted into the sauce.
- Stir in the macaroni and season, to taste, with hot sauce and salt. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole.
- If using the Parmesan, combine it with the bread crumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the macaroni. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!