Charcoal Roasted Beets and Red Onions
This recipe comes for a not so local Farmers' Market here in our state. Last year’s opening day attracted a record crowd of more then 30,000 people. Wish I could go to it every Saturday. I've not tried this but don't want to misplace the recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 small beets, trimmed of all but 2 inches of greens and unpeeled
- 2 medium red onions, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin preferred
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- salt and pepper
- Prepare a moderately hot charcoal fire in a grill unit that has a cover.
- Place beets and red onions in a 10 inch cast iron skillet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place skillet on grill rack over fire, cover the grill unit and roast the vegetables 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the vegetables.
- You may have to cook the beets a little longer than the onions.
- The onions should be soft to the touch and a fork should pierce the beets easily.
- Alternately, you can roast the beets in a skillet in a preheated 400 degree oven.
- Remove vegetables from skillet with tongs.
- Add broth, vinegar and 1 teaspoon thyme to the skillet, place over high heat and boil liquid, scraping bottom of skillet for about 4 minutes or until it’s dark, glossy brown and syrupy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel beets and onions when they’re cool enough to handle.
- Slice the beets into julienne strips and onions into thin rings.
- Spoon liquid over onions and beets, add remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and stir well to combine.
- Heat briefly and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Okay, let me start off by saying that I do not like beets. I hate them. I have hated them since childhood. However, my mother in law was in town this weekend, and she does not share my dislike of beets- quite the opposite. So we found some nice looking beets at a local farm, and I thought it would be nice to make my mom in law some beets. We were going to be grilling that evening, so I went through the recipe sifter and cam across this recipe. Oh My God. I hate to admit it, but this was good. I ate beets and liked them. AMAZING!<br/><br/>The combination of onions and balsamic along with the earthy beets was delicious. Not only that, but this was also super easy to put together. Sure, it takes an hour to roast the beets, but so what? Crack open a beer or a bottle of wine in the backyard and enjoy having the extra time to mingle with family and friends. <br/><br/>Thank you Charlotte for posting this recipe- you have converted me over to the beet side. I will make sure to share this with all of my friends. Especially the one that say they don't like beets!Reply