This is an adaptation of a recipe that was published in our local paper. My daughter and I like it so much I have made a large batch of the spice mix to simplify our breakfast routine. Anyone who likes Indian food will probably enjoy this for a change.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup large flake oatmeal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric (original recipe called for 1/4 tsp....you decide)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (1/4 tsp. in original)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice (original recipe called for ground cloves)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon honey (I omit, but my daughter adds 1 package of Equal after cooking for sweetness)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- sometimes i add toasted chopped walnuts (optional) or almonds, after cooking depending on my mood and what is on hand (optional)
- Combine oatmeal and flavourings in a deep, microwave safe bowl.
- Add milk and stir to combine.
- Cook on high power for 2 minutes, then stir.
- Continue cooking and stirring at one minute intervals until the oatmeal is as thick as you like.
- Top with favourite toppings. I like plain yogurt and a touch of maple syrup.