Central Texas Barbecue Sauce
- Ready In:
- Combine the meat drippings, ketchup, vinegar, bacon fat, hot sauce, and liquid smoke with ½ cup water in a large pot.
- Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat; decrease heat to med-low and let the sauce simmer gently until richly flavored and slightly reduced, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate, covered, until serving; will keep for 3 days.
- Bring to room temperature or warm before using.
- Variation—to approximate the flavor that comes from pit smoking, there is liquid smoke in the recipe; as an alternative, you can put the pot in your smoker and cook it for several hours in the presence of hickory smoke.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!