Celebrity Mexican Shrimp Salad
The original recipe is attributed to Demi Moore in an old clipping I had kept. This is a spicy salad with a lot of eye appeal and some unique flavor blends. Great for brunch or even to take along as a covered dish. Enjoy this one with a nice cold glass of Chardonnay, my friends!
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- 1 lb large shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces black beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced, lengthways
- 2 red bell peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and diced
- 16 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 4 ounces Fritos corn chips or 4 ounces tortilla chips, broken
for the marinade
- 1 small fresh red chile, minced
- 1 1⁄2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the red chili, lime juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, cilantro and vinegar.
- Rinse the shrimp in cold water, drain and, place them in an adequately-sized glass bowl and pour the marinade over them. Stir carefully to make sure that all the shrimp are covered with marinade. Allow the shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator, covered with cling wrap, for 8 hours, stirring at least once.
- At the end of the 8 hours, drain the shrimp and reserve the marinade to use as dressing.
- In four serving bowls, evenly divide the shrimp, beans, lettuce, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, avacados and corn. Toss each salad and top each one with the corn chips.
- Drizzle an even amount of the marinade/dressing over each salad and serve.