Cavatappi With Basil and Chicken Cream Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter (or butter substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour (I used just over 2 tonight for an extra-creamy sauce)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup good parmigiano-reggiano cheese (good cheese can really make a difference, look for "Parma" on the rind if you buy it in a block)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded roasted chicken (I buy the rotisserie chickens from the market. This step is optional.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cavatappi pasta
- If putting this over pasta, start your water boiling first, and add pasta when water comes to a boil.
- Melt the butter.
- Add flour and cook to make light roux.
- Stir in milk, salt, pepper, parmigiano-reggiano, garlic powder, chicken, and basil over low-med heat.
- Cook until creamy and thick, or to the consistency you like. I find that I have to turn the heat down to low as the sauce begins to come together.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I like cooking.