A much more flavourful way of preparing cauliflour as an interesting vegetable side dish
- Ready In:
- 1 cauliflower, broken into flourettes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 -2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon roux ("50:50" flour mashed with softened butter)
- Boil or (preferably) steam Cauliflower until barely done- still slightly crunchy.
- In a separate pan fry finely chopped onion on medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes adding minced or finely chopped Garlic halfway through.
- When soft but not brown add tomato (do not break up too much)& other ingredients.
- simmer gently for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Mix Cauliflower and sauce and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
A great way to eat cauliflower! A nice break from the cheese or butter sauce. I did use the roux; then I made it as the previous reviewer (papergoddess) made hers....all in one skillet. Works out great. I will prepare this again. Thanx for a new cauliflower recipe; and thanx to papergoddess for recommending it.
Delightful! What a wonderful way to eat cauliflower. This turns a bland, ho-hum vege into a real treat. I omitted the roux to make it low fat, since I am dieting. I didn't steam the cauliflower seperately. I sauteed the onion and garlic, added cauliflower, tomatoes, and herbs, and just covered and steamed it for about 15 minutes. Note; if you read the ingredients on your bottle of Italian Seasonings, it's probably the same as Herbs de Provence: Rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, sage, savory.