Carrot & Pea Pilau Rice
- Ready In:
- 10 ounces brown basmati rice
- 18 fluid ounces water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin or 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 onion
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 6 ounces carrots
- 4 ounces peas
- Wash the rice in several changes of water, leave to soak in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain the rice put it in a pan and add the 18 fl ozs of water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes (I place the rice in my wood stove oven to cook).
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the seeds, cook until they splutter.
- Add onion, cinnamon (broken into pieces) and cardamom pods (split at one end to release flavour) Fry until the onion is slightly browned.
- Add the Garam Masala and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the carrot - grated and the peas, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir this mixture gently into the rice and keep warm - or serve straight away.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A keen cook for years and years, I'm just getting the hang of cooking on a solid fuel stove (a Rayburn) after 2 1/2 years! We live in a rural location and try to produce our own food as much as possible. This includes, venison, goat meat, geese and lots of different vegetables. We are currently working our way through a ton of leeks.