photo by Random Rachel
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons yellow split peas, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 24 curry leaves (basil or bay can be substituted)
- 2 dried arbol chiles
- 1 1⁄4 lbs carrots, sliced crosswise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked basmati rice, to serve
- Heat oil in a skillet over low heat, and cook the mustard seeds about 30 seconds, keeping the pan covered until they stops popping.
- Stir in the peas, turmeric, paprika, curry leaves, and chiles and cook for 2 minutes over medium high heat, stirring often.
- Add the carrots, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered until the carrots are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, and cook over high heat for about 5 minutes until the excess liquid is evaporated. Serve over hot basmati rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!