Carrot Cake With Lemon Icing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated carrots (usually about 1 large carrot)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 3 -4 drops vanilla essence
- lemon peel
- Sift flour, carb soda, mixed spice, ginger and salt into a bowl. Add sugar, carrot and nuts. Make a well add eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a well greased ring tin/cake tin. Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cake cooler. Set aside.
- When cold, ice the top of the cake with lemon icing, sprinkle with slivers of lemon peel. This cake will keep fresh and moist for about 1 week.
TO MAKE THE LEMON ICING:
- Beat the icing sugar, lemon juice and softened butter well together. Add vanilla essence and if necessary adjust consistency with extra icing sugar or lemon juice.
- Spread thickly onto cooled cake and top with lemon peel.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!