Carrot Cake - Large
A very large, moist, carrot cake that will feed a crowd. Get used to shreading carrots as you'll be asked to make this over and over again.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins (I chop them first)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (combination of 3/4 c. melted butter and 1/4 c. walnut oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar.
- Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two 10 inch cake pans, place parchment on bottom of pans, grease parchment and flour entire pan.
- Can be made in three 8 inch pans for a really tall cake.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light, gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Stir in the pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed.
- Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- When completely cooled, fill with lightly sweeten cream cheese filling and frost with butter cream frosting.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this cake for my mother's birthday and everyone raved that this was the best carrot cake ever. I soaked the raisins in the pineapple juice while the carrots were soaking in the brown sugar and frosted the cake with an orange cream cheese frosting. It was wonderful! The only carrot cake recipe I will ever use.
Great moist cake. Made it for my mothers 50th Birthday. I soaked the raisins in hot water while i had the carrot and sugar set aside. Also after setting the carrot aside with the sugar i had a lot of liquid in the btw of the bowl that i removed. Would be using this recipe as my main carrot cake recipe from now on!