Carrot Cake Ice Cream
Carrot cake is one of the best cake flavours...well at least after chocolate. :) I took my love for carrot cake and my love for ice cream to create the perfect combo...carrot cake ice cream! To make the ice cream a little lighter, use 1 1/2 cups skim or 2% evaporated milk instead of heavy cream or half and half. This makes the ice cream not quite as creamy, but (at least when made in an ice cream maker) it does not freeze solid like some low fat homemade ice creams. An ice cream maker is optional for this recipe.-----Recipe made by me for RSC #10!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese or 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, cooked and pureed
- Cook about 1 1/4 cup sliced fresh carrots in the microwave or stovetop until soft. Blend in food processor or blender with enough water or milk to make a puree. Measure out 3/4 cup carrot puree, set aside.
- Heat the 1 cup of heavy cream with the brown sugar in a medium size saucepan on medium heat, stirring often.
- When cream mixture is hot, whisk vigorously while adding the gelatin powder. Add in raisins (only if using an ice cream maker) and cream cheese and continue to heat for about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Pour hot mixture into a large glass bowl. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in evaporated milk (or heavy cream or half and half), and pureed carrot.
- Chill in fridge for about 1 hour or 1/2 hour in freezer, till ice cream mixture is cold. The ice cream mixture will be thicker at this point.
- ICE CREAM MAKER: Follow manufacturer’s directions, adding chopped pecans near the end of the freezing process.
- FREEZER METHOD: *Note - this method will take longer than the listed time to make*. Skip the previous chill step. Add in raisins and pecans. Pour ice cream mixture in a covered shallow pan and freeze until almost solid. Break up frozen mixture and process in food processor or blender until soft (this incorporates air into the ice cream). Repeat 1 to 2 more times.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Excellent ice cream! This recipe is a must for anyone who loves carrot cake. It was a little bit fussy and time consuming so either start early on the day you intend to serve it or prepare the first 5 steps the night before, refrigerate and then put it all into the ice cream maker the next day. (This is what I did.) I used 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 1/2 cups of 2% evaporated milk. This recipe made just the right amount for my ice cream maker. 5 star yummy. Thanks for a great recipe.Reply