Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs bar cream cheese, room temperature (20 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (12 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb medium carrot, peeled (6 to 7 carrots, yields 3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (10 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil, safflower oil or 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- double batch cream cheese frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped and toasted pecan
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- For the Cheesecake Layer.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Set a kettle of water to boil. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium until fluffy, scraping down side of bowl. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Beat in lemon zest and juice, and salt. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down side of bowl after each addition. Beat in sour cream.
- Cut parchment paper in a circle and line the bottom of the cheesecake pan. Wrap bottom half of pan in foil. Pour in filling; place in a roasting pan. Pour in boiling water to come halfway up side of springform. Bake until just set in center, about 45 minutes. Remove pan from water; let cool 20 minutes. Run a paring knife around edge; let cool completely. Cover; chill overnight, then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
- For the Carrot Cake Layers.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 9" round pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Shred carrots using large holes of box grater; transfer carrots to bowl and set aside.
- In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat granulated and brown sugars and eggs on medium-high until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
- Reduce speed to medium; with mixer running, add oil in slow, steady stream, being careful to pour oil against inside of bowl.
- Increase speed to high and mix until mixture is light in color and well emulsified, about 45 seconds to 1 minute longer.
- Turn off mixer and stir in carrots and dry ingredients by hand until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until toothpick or skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time.
- Cool cake to room temperature in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- To Assemble the Cake.
- Place bottom layer on cake stand. Remove cheesecake from freezer, unwrap, and remove from metal bottom, then peel off parchment paper. Place cheesecake layer on top of the bottom layer of the carrot cake.
- If the cheesecake is wider than the cake, and it is necessary to to trim it, wait approximately 10 minutes for the cheesecake to soften, then trim it with a knife. Place top layer of cake on top of the cheesecake, and coat with a generous layer of the cream cheese frosting to act as the crumb coat.
- Refrigerate approximately 30 minutes, then frost with as much of the remaining frosting as necessary. Coat this sides of the cake with toasted pecan if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"