Carrabba's Mussels " Cozze Bianco"
photo by oceanmom
- Ready In:
- 4 cups mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Pernod or 2 tablespoons other licorice liqueur
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and pulp of
Lemon Butter Sauce(use 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- kosher salt
- white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Soak mussels in cold water for 8 min; scrub with stiff brush and remove beard with sharp knife;rinse mussels again in cold water.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add mussels; cover and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 - 6 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; toss to mix; cook, covered, for 1 minute.
- Add Pernod, basil,lemon juice and lemon butter sauce; cook for 45 seconds.
- Discard any mussels that did not open. Serve in deep bowl.
Lemon Butter Sauce:
- Melt butter over low heat;remove from heat and let sit until the milk solids settle to the bottom; skim the clear butter from the top; discard the sediment.
- Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbs of the clarified butter until transparent.
- Stir in lemon juice and white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Remove from heat and swirl in cold butter until sauce is smooth and butter is melted.