Carolina Style Barbecued Venison
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This technique is time consuming, but worth the wait. Adds a little fat to a non-fat piece of venison (and a lot of moisture) Deer heaven instead of Hog heaven
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 15mins
- 7 -10 lbs venison shoulder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- For the sauce, mix all ingredients, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- This can be done while the venison is cooking.
- Prepare charcoal grill for indirect cooking method.
- (Gas grill CAN be used, but no"on" burners directly under the meat) Rub shoulder with S&P.
- Place on grill, cover with lid.
- Grill on medium to low heat for two hours.
- Baste with the oil every 20 minutes.
- Introduce wet Hickory chips to the flames every 30 minutes (If using gas grill, check manufacturer's suggestion for this process).
- Remove shoulder from grill.
- Place in Dutch Oven.
- Bake in pre-heated oven, covered for 3 hours@ 225 degrees.
- Remove after slightly cooling.
- Shred meat from the bone.
- Toss with the bbq sauce, adding pan drippings if desired.
- Serve on CWB's (cheap white buns), topped with cole slaw and hot sauce.
- # Note. These times and temps worked great with my grill. With grill and weight variables an increase of oven temp may be required.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION