photo by rpgaymer
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, divided
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry basil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 -16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 lb pepperoni, chopped into small pieces
- 18 lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, half of the ground meat, and the Italian sausage. Brown for 10 minutes.
- Drain the meat mixture, if needed. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the fennel seed, basil, thyme, oregano, black pepper and salt. Gently stir, cover, and let simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the meatballs, ricotta cheese mixture, and lasagna noodles. First, beat 1 egg in a large bowl. Add the oatmeal, 1/2 cup of Parmasan, and the rest of the ground meat, black pepper, fennel seed, basil, thyme, oregano, and salt. Combine well.
- Roll the meat into balls that are about 1 inch in diameter. Place them on a sprayed pan and bake for 20 minutes, turning the meatballs over halfway through the cooking time.
- Put the ricotta cheese in another bowl. Add the other egg, nutmeg, and rest of parsley. Combine well and set aside.
- Now just soak the lasagna noodles in a large pan filled with very hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Once the sauce is cooked, construct the lasagna in a deep 9x3-inch pan. First, spread 2 cups of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay 6 noodles down. Spread half of the ricotta over the noodles, then sprinkle that with 1/3 of the mozzeralla and parmasan. Top that with half of the pepperoni.
- Make another layer in the same way, starting with 2 cups of sauce. After that, lay down the rest of the lasagna noodles on top.
- Mix in the cooked meatballs with the rest of the sauce, and spread on top of the lasagna. Top with rest of cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Remove the foil, then bake for 25 minutes. Remove, then let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Right up there in the top 10 of the year. It was just what the doctor ordered. First a Meaty lasagna, my type, and the kids love onions, so there type too. The meatballs were great, as well as the seasonings. A definate different way, yet a very nice and easy recipe. Loved the seasonings in this too. It was a very nice combo. Tagged and made for Rookie Tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Feel free to use my recipes.