Carmen's Healthy Whole Wheat Bread
One of the most nutritious bread you'll find! Full of healthy ingredients, and it tastes great too! ;) This bread was created by my good friend Carmen Witzig. Sometimes she uses 1 cup sorgum in place of one of the cups of whole wheat flour.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 600 ml warm water (NOT hot)
- 1 -2 cup flour, for kneading
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients (except yeast, sugar, and sesame seeds) together in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl mix the yeast and sugar and add the warm (room temperature) water.
- Knead well for at least 5 minutes. When the dough gets sticky add more flour.
- Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for one hour or more.
- Knead the dough again a few times and put it in an oiled pan.
- If you want to add sesame seeds to the top, smear the top of the dough with water first so they'll stick better.
- Bake it for 45-50 minutes at 180 C or 350°F.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Three stars for taste. This recipe has potential, I think, but certainly needs better instructions, especially for anyone not familiar with the bread making process. For instance, what are you supposed to do between steps 3 and 4? And when you knead it, shouldn't you knead it on a floured surface? Should the first rise take place right on the counter or in a greased bowl? Covered or not? Till doubled or what? What size pan should it be baked in? Is it supposed to rise a second time?Reply
Oh so yummy, I love bread and this recipe was easy to make. I had everything on hand, since it was cold and raining day I turned on the oven, sat the covered dough near the fire box and allowed it to rise. Once it was in the oven the aroma wafted around the house. Everyone wanted a slice, luckily I made two loafs so I could have some toasted for breakfast in the morning. Thank you Enjolinfam - *Made for Zaar World Tour 4*Reply