Caribbean Red Beans and Rice
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onion and cook until soft, then add the jalapeno pepper.
- Add the rice and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, coconut milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the thyme and salt and pepper.
- Cook until the broth and coconut milk are reduced, about 25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I don't know what happened to my first review that I submitted...This was a great recipe. I looked at several online and this was the first one I saw that combined coconut milk and broth. Super easy to make and throw together, very filling, good flavors all around. I diced a large onion and didn't use all of it in this recipe, so I made some pico de gallo for later. Just for kicks I tried some with this dish and it was awesome! The fresh lime juice and tomatoes, and the crunch of the raw onions blended with the warm, dense savory flavor of the red beans and rice in the best way. Very happy to eat left overs today!
So delicious! Reminded me of the rice & beans w/coconut milk we ate while living in Honduras near the Caribbean. I had already made red beans (from dried beans) and used those. <br/><br/>One tip: I found that the liquid ran out before the rice was fully cooked, and ended up adding about 2 more cups of liquid total. No big deal, just took longer to cook than expected.
i've made this recipe a couple of times now. i love coconut milk, and the combination of that and the chicken broth give the rice and beans nice flavor. i had a hard time finding canned red beans, so i bought some dried ones and prepared them as indicated on the package before adding them with the rice. a super tasty and cool perfect pair with jerk chicken.