Caramelized Rice Pudding
- Ready In:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 vanilla, bean split, and seeds scraped and reserved
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1⁄4 cup turbinado sugar or 1/4 cup other raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Put milk, rice and vanilla bean and seeds into a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard vanilla bean.
- Whisk cream, granulated sugar, salt, yolks, and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour into rice mixture, stirring constantly. Return to heat; bring to a simmer. Divide among 4 6-oz ramekins set in a roasting pan; add boiling water halfway up sides. Bake until almost set, 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tops with raw sugar, dividing evenly.
- Using a kitchen torch, caramelize sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 56 year old Gramma that, for the first time in my life, has purchase myself a computer, and I didn't know what i was missing!! <br> <br>I have a husband tha I adore, and 4 grandchildren that of course surpass all others - lol - I am disabled, and am an at home person, so I have a lot of time on my hands, to play with my recipes, and I am enjoying every bit of it - <br>My husband will eat anything that I cook, so I have carte blanche as far as that goes, so I have a great time trying out new recipes. <br> <br>Paula Deen has published some of my favorite cookbooks, her recipes are easy and quick to do. Her sweets are fantastics, especially her pound cakes, Yummm <br> <br>I guess the dish that I am famous for is my Christmas ham - my family all comes home for Christmas, and if i don't have my ham they are dissapointed, and my grandson wants the pistachio squares!!! so I guess that is the dishes that I'm famous for.