Caramelized Onion Dip/Spread
photo by Sandi From CA
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Tabasco sauce (to taste) (optional)
- Heat the butter and oil in the frypan over medium heat.
- Add in onions, cayenne, salt and pepper; sauté for about 8 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook stirring occasionally for 20 minutes more until onions are brown and caramelized; cool.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Add in onions; mix well to combine.
- Add in Tabasco sauce if using.
- Cover and place in fridge for 2 or more hours before using.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Tomorrow it will be exactly 1 year since I reviewed a recipe here. The "takeover" turned me off, I guess, but it's no surprise that I've come back to review one of YOUR recipes, Kitten! :) I should start by saying that I made some changes, but I think the significant aspects of this recipe are those I didn't change. Before I even chose a recipe to use them in, I had caramelized 5 onions using Mark Bittman's method in "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian". He starts with nothing in the pan but the onions and adds 2T butter or olive oil once the onions have dried up some. Anyway, this dip was over-the-top delicious! It was a bit difficult to scoop before I attacked it with a stick blender, but maybe I shouldn't have done that.... I had always been able to defy the "Lay's Potato Chips... nobody can eat just one" claim all these years, but when they were all decked out in this dip, there was no stopping me. Thank you once again, Carol, for sharing a wonderful and versatile recipe!
This is a wonderful dip recipe!!!! It makes for a creamy, roasty and just super yummy dip that goes great with crudites. I luved the simplicity of preparing this and the great onion, garlic flavour. The cayenne added just the right amount of heat. A lovely dip that Ill make again. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, Kittencal! Made and reviewed for Zaar Stars May 2010.
see 8 more reviews
A really nice flavourful dip that's quite easy to make. I cut the fat a bit by using plain yogurt instead of sour cream but otherwise followed the recipe. I think you could add a touch more cayenne if you like your food with a bit of kick but on its own it's a simple dip that should appeal to most people. Goes great with veggies, crackers or potato chips. The onions and cayenne give it a nice colour.