Caramelized Crispy Snack Mix
- Ready In:
- 9 cups Corn Chex
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups candy covered plain chocolate candies
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Spray roasting pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Place cereal in prepared pan.
- Combine brown sugar, butter and syrup in 3-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil (8 to 9 minutes).
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add baking soda mix well.
- Pour syrup mixture over cereal; toss gently until well coated.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or until coating is set.
- Cool 5 minutes, stir in chocolate pieces.
- Spread mixture onto waxed paper.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Break apart.
- Store in container with a tight-fitting lid.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a good snack mix, not quite as awesome and addictive as Muddy Buddies (or Puppy Chow or whatever you choose to call it) hence the 4 stars. A nice choice for a party or youth group snacks. I also throw in some raisins if I have them on hand. I have also made a "sweet and salty" version where I added nuts and goldfish. That was good too, but not as popular as the standard version.
This stuff is addictive!!! I wanted something to bring to work as a treat to have on the table for the boys to be able to just grab a handful and it was a hit. The directions are precise and the finished product is so good. The only little trouble I had was that the m&m's didn't "stick" to the candy covered cereal mix but it didn't matter to those of us chomping down on it. I have to add that I cut the recipe in half and still ended up with a large freezer bag full to the gills. Thanks dojemi for the great crunchy mix!