Caramel Shortcake or Millionaire's Shortbread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 8 ounces butter or 8 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 tablespoons syrup
- 1 (410 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces chocolate
- 1 ounce butter
BASE (first 3 ingredients):
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add the flour and stir to make a mixture that is soft and will go together when squashed.
- Lightly knead and then roll out or place into a deep Swiss roll tin.
- Press into place with the palm of your hand until even.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes gas 4.
- Cool in the tin.
FILLING (middle four ingredients):
- Place the butter, sugar, syrup, and condensed milk into a pan and bring slowly to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once boiling keep on a slow boil stirring all the time for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Caramel should be thick and golden.
- Allow to cool.
- When cool pour over the biscuit mixture and leave to set.
TOPPING (last 2 ingredients):
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water.
- Spread over top of the caramel layer.
- Cut into squares or fingers once set.
- Do not be put off by the stages; very easy and worth the wait. It looks like you have been in the kitchen and slaving over the cooker for hours. You will get compliments with this one.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> I live near Edinburgh My job is working as a team leader in a hardware store My passion is cooking and eating Favourite cook books for the house are the Good Housekeeping or Sainsbury,s cookbook and Recipe Zaar Baking is my passion, but no one eats home baked goods in my house so my work mates reap the benefit of my baking. my family are too fussy and do not appreciate good food. I love to look for new recipes on the internet or buy old cookbooks and cook and bake all day long."
Join The Conversation
I'm sorry to give only three stars I truly am for the caramel sauce is ABSOLUTELY heavenly. However, the shortbread and the caramel do not complement each over at all so the shortbread seems very bland. This recipe was nice - but Costa cafe's are waaaay nicer but absolutely different. I also only did half the recipe and cut the squares alot smaller then suggested as this was the same recipe that I found in a book only doubled. My mum and dad who haven't tried Costa's to my knowledge loved them though and my mum normally doesn't like caramel. So my suggestion is make it if you haven't tried caramel shortbread and you'll love it, however to me it just wasn't the same.
a favourite of mine!! really loved it. to lower the calories though i used only 2oz butter on the middle layer, and only 1oz of sugar. to further reduce the calories you could halve the ingredients of the bottom layer. also, use no butter for the topping, as chocolate is enough! great recipe though!!!